Should we be reintroducing animals back into our country?

For discussion about British wildlife in all its glory

Should we be reintroducing animals back into our country?

by Cavan Scott » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:01 pm

I'm not sure if you've seen these comments from John Craven in the latest issue about rewilding in the UK:

In these hard economic times does it really make sense to spend £2m on bringing beavers back to a forest in Scotland where they became extinct many hundreds of years ago? To people who live and work in beaver country they are like Marmite – either loved or hated with no in-between. To some they’re a menace, destroying woodland and blocking streams and rivers; to others they’re one of nature’s heroes, creating spaces amid dense tree cover for the benefit of other creatures. Ten of them, imported from Norway, have been set free in the remote Knapdale area of mid-Argyll and for the next five years they will be closely monitored to assess their impact on the environment.
I must confess that for me it was a magical moment when, as dusk fell on a small loch and the mist rose from the limpid water, two of them swam close to my canoe. I’d been filming the project for Countryfile and had been told there was a good chance of seeing them. Now, I’ve heard that assurance many times on wildlife assignments and often been terribly disappointed (“You should have been here yesterday!” is the usual comment). So it was a real thrill to be one of the first to see wild beavers in what was once their natural habitat.
But we shouldn’t let emotion obstruct reality and rewilding, as it is called, is highly controversial. Plans to return wolves and bears to Scotland have already been abandoned. So I asked a couple of old friends with much experience of wild animals, Mark Carwardine and Michaela Strachan, for their verdict. Mark, soon to co-host a new BBC Two series on endangered species called Last Chance To See with Stephen Fry, put it like this: “In the game pick-a-stick, when you take out one stick all the others fall into a different pattern. If you try to put that stick back again things will have changed – and it’s the same with rewilding… the surroundings and circumstances will be different. I wouldn’t condemn it but there has to be a very good reason for doing it.” Michaela, who’s just finished filming Michaela’s Animal Roadshow for Five, thought the positives outweigh the negatives and the publicity created by reintroducing animals would benefit conservation in general. “Can we criticise other countries for their handling of animals like cheetahs and leopards if we
can’t cope with a few potentially difficult ones of our own?” she asked.

I wondered what you thought of schemes to reintroduce animals lost to our environment? Is it a worthwhile cause or a doomed folly.

Which side of the fence do you sit on?

Cav
Cavan Scott

Re: Should we be reintroducing animals back into our country?

by Mayo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:34 pm

I don't see there is a fence to be sat on. People talk about the re-introduction of Wolves and certain large eagle birds of prey, this is plainly ridiculous as the first thing that will happen is they prey on livestock and they will become a menace. I don't think it is a good idea except in the most remote and less intensively managed areas of the highlands and parts of northern Britain. They need to be introduced only to areas where they will not be troubled by mankind or their activities, lets not forget they are wild animals, after all. My initial opinion then, is that Britain is just too densely populated for the adoption of these kinds of ideas on the whole.
'The act of putting into your mouth what the earth has grown
is perhaps your most direct interaction with the earth'

Mayo

by wendy w » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:36 pm

But what about the beavers or bumble bees. I read somewhere about a species of bumble bee that is now extinct in the UK but is being reintroduced from New Zealand. Surely in that case it wouldn't be a problem?
wendy w

by Mayo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:40 pm

Don't see a problem with that. But the introduction of species could have a wide ranging knock-on biolgoical effect on entire ecosystems and must be carefully thought out. The introduction of non-indigenous wildlife should not be permitted, at all.

Mayo

by PuBS » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Grey squirrels were imported, so were signal crayish and look what theyve done.
Can you eat beaver?
PuBS

by yorkie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:47 pm

You can eat anything these days but im guessing a beaver would taste a bit woody.
yorkie

by sue bird » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Unfortunatly we have become very over populated and I think we have missed the opportunity for re introduction of wolves and bears. Having visited Canada recently and seen the devestation that beavers have caused in some areas it will be interesting to see how the limited number released in the UK will develop and view the impact they may have on the countryside regarding flooding areas and devestating the trees.
Sue Bee

sue bird

by PuBS » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:32 am

Michaela Strachans comment:

Michaela, who’s just finished filming Michaela’s Animal Roadshow for Five, thought the positives outweigh the negatives and the publicity created by reintroducing animals would benefit conservation in general. “Can we criticise other countries for their handling of animals like cheetahs and leopards if we
can’t cope with a few potentially difficult ones of our own?” she asked.

Shes rather missed the point surely?

Conservation is conserving what we already have.
Reintroducing extinct species from abroad is illegal unless licenced, and would only cause the difficulty to which she refers.

Dont do it-then theres no problem!

Id rather hear scientific opinion on such matters from ecologists and environmentallists rather than TV presenters who may be good at their job but should never be asked to give such opinions, public opinion may be affected by taking their opinions as fact.
PuBS

by Mayo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:29 am

You'll no doubt get some crazy nutters who are wolf enthusiasts lobbying for the reintroduction of grey wolves in the highlands.

Probably the same people who complain about the welfare of sheep on upland farms. Then someone will point out the wolves will kill lambs. In response the wolf enthusiasts will suggest compensation for each lamb killed. Very welfare friendly. Thats the problem with having an urbanite government who don't have a clue. You get people who do not understand the law of the land turning up and having their ideas made into policy.

Mayo

by badgerjan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:00 pm

No, definitely not, we would just be creating a situation to sanction persecution.
Where ever we have introduced birds of prey back into areas where they have become extinct, they are being shot and poisoned, because they are said to be doing damage to farm animals.
We have an escaped beaver on the river Tamar, I have not heard that it has been caught yet.
I was taken by a local forester, and shown the damage that this one animal has done on it's journey along the river, I was astounded, and this is just one animal.
It is not at all practical to bring back large mammals, we are an over populated island, we do not have the room to accommodate any more animals.
badgerjan

Next

Return to General Wildlife